Friday, November 12, 2010

a near disaster...




A friend of mine's mom turned 50 today and I had the pleasure of making her cake for her. I was really excited about this cake...I've learned some new techniques for smoothing buttercream and I was eager to try them out. So, I spent quite a bit of time on the buttercream for this cake...smoothing and smoothing and smoothing. Finally it looked semi-smooth (I still have a lot to learn until it's completely smooth). So, imagine how I felt when, while stacking the tiers, I DROPPED the top tier (don't worry, it just fell on my clean countertop, not the floor)! My poor top tier was a mess, and so was I! Fortunately, it was fixable and, after another round of buttercream smoothing, I was finally satisfied (well sort of...I'm a major perfectionist). I was pleased with how the cake turned out and am already looking forward to making my next one!

2 comments: