Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Psalms 119:105

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path"

I remember learning Psalms 119:105 when I was about 8 years old in Pioneer Clubs at Owls Head Baptist Church. We were all made to memorize this verse. I didn't know what it meant and probably didn't really care too much...I was more concerned with my gymnastics lessons and finally learning to ride my bike. But now, 18 years later, the verse has re-surfaced and has impacted my thinking in a powerful way.
I have had the privilege this summer of being part of an in depth study of Psalms 119. I'll be honest, by the time we got to verse 105, I was a bit burnt out. The Lord knew I needed some refreshment. Lately I've been wondering where I'm suppose to go in this world. I just haven't felt content with where I am...in a lot of different aspects of my life. I have an amazing husband, a secure job, really a great life....but I just have felt this nagging feeling of discontentment. I want to know what I'm suppose to be when I grow up! I want to see the future and know exactly how things are going to play out. But, then came Psalms 119:105. The Lord does not promise to be this huge beaming light that shows everything; He simply promises to light our path one step at a time. My prayer is that He will help me to focus on the NOW and not on the future so much. He's a lamp not a floodlight.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I use a metaphor like this with my coaching clients all the time. "You can drive from NY to CA in the dark, seeing only 30 ft in front of you but you know you're going to get there." OF COURSE that metaphor would be rooted in the Bible! All good truths are. :) (I was just reading this to Matt and he said that quote got him through med school too.)

    ReplyDelete