Saturday, January 28, 2012

what's been cooking

So, I don't love to cook.  Or, let me rephrase that.  I just don't love to cook when I get home from work at 5:45 and I'm starving and just want something on the table.  Hence, the frozen pizza that seems to always make it's way into my cart in the grocery store.   But, on the weekends it's a different story.  On Saturday mornings I always make breakfast for our family.  It's never exactly "figure-friendly" but the boys don't care and it's a nice little change after eating cereal or oatmeal all week.  So, we splurge.  Usually we have pancakes (topped with peanut butter, of course) but this morning I decided to do something different.  I found a recipe for Easy French Toast Casserole here (thanks Laura!).  It was so easy and turned out pretty well.  Here's the recipe (I'll add a few comments at the end):

Ingredient Checklist
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar for sprinkling

Directions
1. Melt butter in microwave & add brown sugar....stir till mixed.
2. Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan
3. Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla
4. Lay single layer of Texas Toast in pan
5. Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer
6. Add 2nd layer of Texas Toast
7. Spoon on remaining egg mixture
8. Cover & chill in fridge overnight
9. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar
11. Serve with warm maple syrup

*I cut the recipe in half and it was a perfect amount for the four of us.  I also used regular old Whitewheat bread and it worked just fine. Next time, I would use less egg mixture between the layers of bread because it turned out a little soggy in the middle.  Also, I added a little bit of cinnamon on top of both bread layers.  Overall, it was yummy!

Here's my finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment