Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lessons learned

The past 8 weeks since Hudson has been born have flown by.  In those weeks I have learned some valuable lessons about mommy-hood.

1. The joy of being a mother is indescribable.  I fall more and more in love with this little boy every day.  I knew I would love being a mommy but now I know what people mean when they say it's a love you have never felt before.

2. Leaving Hudson, even for a few minutes, is harder than I ever thought it would be.  I used to say that I wasn't going to be a super over-protective mother but I take it all back.  Last weekend was the first time that I had ever been away for Hudson for more than 15 minutes and I found myself fighting the urge to text Chris for an update every few minutes.  I know time away from him is healthy and having an occasional date night with my husband will be very good for our marriage but it's going to take some getting used to, especially when I go back to work in 2 weeks.  I think that I prayed for so long for God to bless us with a child that now that he's finally here, I don't want to miss a minute!

3. When I was pregnant someone told me that the best advice they could give me was to not listen to anyone's advice.  I know completely know what they mean.  Everyone has their own ideas of what to do with babies- especially when it comes to sleep training.  When I was pregnant I read everything I could on parenting and while there certainly was some good insights in those books, what I have found is that you really just have to kind of wing-it.  When Hudson was first born I was so stressed about getting him on some sort of schedule (Babywise says to start at one week right??) but it didn't work.  I quickly learned to just relax and enjoy him.  And now, at 8 weeks, he has put himself into a pretty predictable routine and as long as he's happy and rested, that's all I'm worried about now. 

4. It's important to continue with your life!  I am now a mother but I am still a wife, daughter, sister, and friend.  Those things are still as important as they always have been.  And, it's easier to incorporate a baby into your life than to plan your life around the baby.  Chris and I made sure to start this early...we took Hudson to church just 6 days after he was born.  Now that Hudson is getting into a regular nap routine, I'm trying to still stay flexible...if one of his naps is in the stroller or car seat than that's ok with me. 

5.  I have a whole new appreciation for my body.  No, my tummy will probably never be as flat as it was before he was born but that really doesn't matter anymore.  It is simply amazing to me that God is allowing me to provide Hudson will all the nutrition he needs, straight from my own body.  Breastfeeding sometimes feels like a full time job but I wouldn't have it any other way.  It is honestly one of the most rewarding and amazing experiences I believe you can have as a mother. 

And finally, no blog post would be complete without a few pictures of little man!

No comments:

Post a Comment