Monday, June 11, 2012

Anniversary trip


This past weekend Chris and I were able to getaway for 48 hours for our anniversary.  Some good friends of our kept the boys (THANK YOU!).  Chris actually planned the whole trip, I was just along for the ride.  We were not able to leave until about 9:30pm on Friday evening so we didn't get to Asheville until close to midnight.  We were both exhausted and it felt SO great to be able to sleep until 8am on Saturday!  That hasn't happened since...well, last August!
On Saturday we spent the day at Dupont National Forest in Cedar Mountain, NC.  If you haven't been there and you like to hike, you really have to go.  Before the boys, Chris and I hiked a lot...I mean, every chance we got.  And in the past 10 months we had not gone once.  So, this day was absolutely wonderful.  We did a 7.5 mile hike and saw 4 gorgeous waterfalls.  This is where they filmed a lot of the Hunger Games...I can see why, it's a pretty amazing place.  
We were pretty tired and hungry by the time we finished the hike.  We crashed for a while at the hotel before heading into downtown Asheville.  Ok, Asheville is a weird place, ya'll.  Chris and I didn't exactly "fit in".  It took us forever to find a restaurant and we finally settled on one right across from some street vendors.  Honestly, we probably said about 20 words to each other the whole dinner, we were both so distracted by people watching...
Anyways, after dinner we, of course, had to stop at Kilwins for ice cream!
On Sunday we spent the day at the Biltmore Estate!  This is something that I have wanted to do since I moved to NC so Chris surprised me with tickets.  The house is pretty amazing and we only were able to see about 40 rooms out of the 255.  I can't even imagine how long it would take to go through it if we were actually allowed in the whole thing.  Unfortunately, it started to rain as we were walking through the gardens.  It was still a great day!
So, we had a great trip.  I feel so blessed to have spent the last 3 years with Chris.  This past year was  definitely the most challenging we have had yet but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I love you Chris and I look forward to many many more years (and challenges) together!

Triple Falls
High Falls

Another view of Triple Falls
One more of Triple Falls
Bridal Veil Falls 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures, Abbie! I'm glad y'all had fun. That sounds like a weekend that Josh and I would enjoy. We will have to check out that hiking trail!

    ReplyDelete