Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bookworm...

That's me.  I'm a bookworm.  I have loved to read since I was a little girl.  I have a lot of special memories of my mom and dad reading to me. These days, no matter how little time I have, I try to always have a good book close by.
Well, one of my favorite parts of my whole day now is when the boys will snuggle up at night and read books.  Eleven months ago this wasn't possible.  The boys had zero interest in books.  I would try so hard to sit with them and read books and they would squirm and play.  To be honest, I'm pretty sure they had never been exposed to books.  They didn't know how to properly hold a book, didn't know which way was up. They have come a long way and even ask to read books now (ok, maybe it's a way to procrastinate at bed time but I'll take it!). We have learned the trick. We have to read to them one on one.  So, at night, Chris will read to one of the boys and I will read to the other in different rooms.  We can now get through four or five books with no squirming!  They are recognizing some letters in the books and get excited when they identify them correctly.  It's so great to see them learning to enjoy books!  Here are some of my all time favorite kids books:

This is the boys favorite to read.  Did you know there's a mouse hidden on each colored page?

We read this one a lot too.  My grandmother, Nonni, actually wrote it!!!

This one is a little long for the boys to sit through yet...but we'll get there!

Again, a little long.  But such a great book.

Any Berenstain Bears book is a hit with us!

Ok this one is a chapter book.  But, I remember my mom reading this to me when I was in elementary school and we laughed so hard we cried.  I hope the boys enjoy it in a few years!




I have so many other favorites as well...but I'll keep this post short and sweet.  I really do hope that the boys will develop a love of reading!  There's nothing quite like getting lost in a good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment