Friday, April 5, 2013

Exercise During Pregnancy

I suppose, since I am an exercise physiologist by profession, I should write a blog post about my experience with exercise while I have been pregnant.  I'll be honest, it's been a very different experience than I expected.  I always thought I would just keep on running up until the day my baby was born.  I mean, I've run for years...why would pregnancy keep me from it?  Ha.  Was I wrong...for a number of reasons.  Let's start with the initial reason I stopped running- morning (noon and night) sickness.  I was just too nauseated to run much.  I really tried to keep running most days until about week 15, then I just gave it up.  But, when I started to feel better at week 18 I thought I'd try again.  I was successful for a few weeks but developed tremendous pelvic pain that was worsened by running.  So, I decided it was time to hang it up and start a new exercise routine that was more conducive to pregnancy.  At first I did a lot of inclined walking on the treadmill (sometimes with jogging intervals if I felt ok that day).  Or, I would do a workout on the elliptical.  My favorite days of exercise were the days I would come home from work and Chris and I would go for a long walk/jog.  I look forward to doing lots more of this after the baby is born with our wonderful new stroller!
I continue to exercise 5-6 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour.  Aside from my cardio workouts, I have tried to continue doing strength exercises, particularly lots of squats and lunge.
I am so thankful that I have been able to exercise throughout my pregnancy.  I really believe that it was helped me in so many ways- I have been able to gain a healthy amount of weight, I have not experienced any swelling, and I still feel extremely comfortable.  I really am not tired of being pregnant yet, mostly I think because I am still able to be really active.  I am hoping that my exercise will all pay off when it's time to welcome my precious son into the world with a quick and easy labor!

No comments:

Post a Comment