Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hudson's big boy room

We started Hudson's new room about a month ago. I really wanted this to be a special room that he would love since he is, after all, getting evicted from his nursery. We had a hard time agreeing on a theme (just like we did with the nursery) so we decided we would just find some bedding we liked and go with it. I actually had a really hard time finding bedding that wasn't super "busy"...I just wanted something simple. I also realized just how expensive bedding is. I was able to find something pretty affordable at Target and thankfully had gift cards so I didn't end up paying a penny (did I mention we were on a major budget for this room?). So, our color scheme became navy and red...and, because of a few things I already had laying around that seemed to match the colors, our theme quickly turned "nautical". So, I decided to run with it. My friend Laura makes awesome pallet art and I commissioned her to make something special for Hudson's room. I am in love with how it turned out. I wanted some red shelves for the walls but wasn't able to find anything affordable or that I really liked so I decided to make them myself. I bought two unfinished shelves and some red paint at Michaels and, for less than $20, I had just what I wanted. I also bought an unfinished stool (Hudson can't actually reach the bed yet without a stool!) for $8 and painted it with the same red paint and some navy blue paint I already had on hand. I'm happy with how the room turned out!  Hudson already loves playing in there and often wants to lay on the bed and read books.  I don't think he's quite ready to sleep in there...we will wait a while for that. But, at least, when he is ready, his room will be waiting!



Thanks Laura!

This lamp has been sitting in a closet since I bought it about 10 years ago...finally glad to put it to good use!


Eventually I'll add some pictures to the frame and books to the bookshelf

This definitely is not perfect but I hd fun making it!

No comments:

Post a Comment