Saturday, March 17, 2012

Not "Plan B"

So, a few days ago, I was talking with someone that I know fairly well and they asked me "I don't mean to be nosy, but do you and Chris want kids of your own?"  Honestly, maybe I've been naive for the past 8 months, but it never crossed my mind that maybe people thought foster care was a "plan B" for us.  So, to clarify, as far as Chris and I know, we can and will have our own biological children one day.  We just felt a strong leading from the Lord to do foster care first.  And, our hope is that we do treat these kids like they are our "own" for however long we have the privilege of fostering them. 
Since before Chris and I were married we have been in agreement that we want to adopt at least one child someday.  It is something that both of us are very passionate about.   My passion comes from the many international mission trips I have taken- the greatest influence being my two trips to Haiti.  Chris' passion comes from the fact that he has a sister who was adopted from China. (But oddly enough, we are pretty sure we want to adopt domestically instead of internationally).  Foster care seemed like a logical first step and God made it clear that it was suppose to be our first step.
I pray that the Lord blesses us with biological children one day but I also feel very strongly that children do not have to share a blood line with you to be your "own".  So, yes, we will have children of our "own" however the Lord sees fit.  And no, foster care is most definitely not a "Plan B".
You can read more about the beginning of our foster care journey here.

1 comment:

  1. Well said....Ricky is not our plan B he is our gift from God. I admire you both so very much. To think a bray cake has allowed me to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete