Saturday, January 5, 2013

A week's top 10

While we weren't able to spend the Christmas holiday with my family this year, we did have the pleasure of hosting my parents for a week after Christmas.  We had a wonderful week and I thought the best way to capture it would be to make our top 10 list of things we did last week (in no specific order).

1.  We had a second Christmas with my parents when they got here.  The tree was once again surrounded by presents and we were able to celebrate with them.
2. We were able to take many walks since the weather ended up being nice (especially since they are used to it being really cold this time of year in Boston).  We took a few in the neighborhood, went to Tanglewood once, and also to the Meadowlark greenway.  I am so thankful for a family that values exercise as much as I do!
3. Chris and I introduced my parents to Duck Dynasty.  My mom says it's her new favorite show :)
4. We visited All About Baby, a cloth diapering store, in Greensboro.  This was a lot more exciting for my mom and I than for Chris and my dad.  But, they were good sports and sat patiently while my mom and I looked around and learned about all the cloth diapering options.  We left there spending a little more money than we intended to but it was a very worthwhile investment.
5.  We had some of Chris' family over for a "northern" dinner.  My parents cook a meal that we call New England boiled dinner...basically you put ham, onions, potatoes, and carrots all in one pot and let it boil.  It's a staple at our family dinners.  Chris' grandfather told me after that he was surprised that my "Yankee" family could actually cook.
6.  My parents had their first true Southern meal on New Years Day.  Chris' stepmom cooked hog jawls (or something like that), black eyed peas, and collard greens.  My parents thought it was the greatest meal ever.  I stuck to the chicken salad, green beans, and macaroni.
7.  We painted the nursery!  Chris and I bought the paint that we wanted the day after Christmas but didn't think that we would get around to painting for a while.  But my parents seemed eager to help so, with four of us painting, we got it all done!  (I'll have to write another post with pictures of the beginnings of the nursery soon).  
8.  Chris and my dad assembled the crib and the bookcase for the nursery.  It makes the whole pregnancy seem a little more real...baby boy has a place to sleep now!
9.  My parents graciously offered to watch the boys for an evening so Chris and I could have a night out.  We were able to go to Charlotte to see Duke win yet other basketball game (more about this in Chris' 30th birthday post!).
10.  And finally, maybe the most exciting part of all, was knowing that the next time my parents visit, baby Wrights will be here!  

I treasure every moment that we are able to spend with my parents.  No matter how long they visit, it never seems like enough time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment